Sunday, July 5, 2009

Independence day!






I love Independence day! It is a wonderful holiday that allows us to contemplate the blessing of living in a free country. I always feel teary as I watch fire works while listening to patriotic music and thinking of the men and women who have sacrificed so very much to maintain our freedom. I am so grateful to have the gift of raising my family in this wonderful nation.

We had an eventful 4th. We enjoyed the Rockies game followed by fireworks on Friday night. After the game we climbed the stairs of the parking garage to the 4th floor where we were parked. Brayden, Jake, and I were a few blocks ahead of everyone else. As the heavy fire door closed Brayden reached out behind him at just the wrong time. The middle finger of his right hand was crushed in the hinge side of the door. The firemen and ambulance came, and eventually we got to the Children's hospital ER at Parker Adventist. After x-rays and exams is was determined that Brayden's finger was squished with enough force that the tip came very near to literally "popping off". He fractured the bone in the process. Needless to say it was a painful night for Brayden, and a long night for all of us! I feel so blessed that things did not turn out worse. I am sure that Brayden will be back to his normal self in no time!

6 comments:

Erika said...

That poor kid! I am so sorry, what a crummy way to end the night!

Whitney said...

Oh my!! That is terrible!!! So, will his finger return to normal after the whole dang thing? Poor kid.

Katie said...

Oh wow, he looks so sad. I hope he's feeling alright now.

Your boys are so handsome.

Vanessa said...

Poor little guy!!! They sure are cute boys, though! :) Hope Brayden feels better soon.

erinka said...

Those split second things that have such far-reaching consequences. There's no way to see them coming and no way to know why they come, except in hindsight at some far distant time. I'm sure that was scary for him - part of growing up that you wish they didn't have to have.

Jacqui said...

After your comment on FB, I had no idea what you were talking about so I checked the blog. Holy Smokes! Poor guy!

Can I help keep the kids during camp at all? We'd love to have some play dates.